Free60: Homebrew Hack - czyli kompletny hack X360

offtopic

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
On Tuesday, Microsoft has released an Xbox 360 software update that overwrites the first stage bootloader of the system. Although there have been numerous software updates for Microsoft's gaming console in the past, this is the first one to overwrite the vital boot block. Any failure while updating this will break the Xbox 360 beyond repair. Statistics from other systems have shown that about one in a thousand bootloader updates goes wrong, and unless Microsoft has a novel solution to this problem, this puts tens of thousands of Xboxes at risk.

It seems that this update is being done to fix a vulnerability already known to the Free60 Project. This vulnerability has been successfully exploited to run arbitrary code, and a complete end user compatible hack has been in development for some time and is planned to be released on free60.org shortly. It will allow users to take back control of their Xboxes and run arbitrary code like homebrew applications or Linux right after turning on the console and without the need of a modchip, finally opening up the Xbox 360 to a level of hacking as the original Xbox.

Because of the dangerousness of the update and the homebrew lockout, the Free60 Project advises all Xbox 360 users to not update their systems to the latest software version. The Project website at Main Page - Free60 Project will provide the latest information on this ongoing topic, including the final hack software.

Free60 (Main Page - Free60 Project) is a project that aims to enable Xbox 360 users to run homebrew applications and operating systems like Linux on their consoles. The effort is headed by Felix Domke and Michael Steil, who have a background in dbox2, Xbox and GameCube hacking, and who have spoken at various conferences about their findings. Two years ago, Free60 released a hack that allowed arbitrary code execution using a game ("King Kong Hack") as well as an adapted version of Linux, but this possibility has been disabled by Microsoft in subsequent updates of the Xbox 360 software.

Felix and Michael have repeatedly argued that game console manufacturers should open up their platforms to Linux and homebrew, similar to what Sony has done with the PlayStation 3.
- działa na wszystkich wersjach konsol, tzn. xenon, zephyr, falcon, opus, jasper
- wymaga wersji dasha starszej niż 849x - ostatni update

fryc88

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
Szybko to napisaliście, jak już ludzie aktualizowali na nowy dash .
Jak dla mnie ciekawa rzecz, ale sam już mam nowy, także kicha...

mic1225

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
heee... nawet nie wiem o co biega :p Ale jak to dotyczy starszego dasha to co z tego jak większość ludzi juz zainstalowała nowy?

strusic

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
Jak o tym przeczytałem wczoraj to się bardzo wkur..zyłem. :p

So, some quick news:

We kept on working on this idea, and it worked out. pretty well. We use JTAG to program the DMA target addr, and then SMC to trigger the DMA read. The exploit itself is based on the old 4532 exploit.

The magic is how we launch 4532 - there is a "backdoor" for manufacturing since CB 1920. We have been able to restore the newer CD versions for all hardware types.

This means:
- We can boot own code in HV context ~5s after boot, before any video output, right after the kernel runs.
- we need to reflash the flash, and add 3 resistors for the JTAG (no modchip required! but you might want a dual-nand modchip),
- 8498 kills this by updating the bootloader - it blacklists 4532/4548. it also does hw init stuff which might interefere with the jtag hack, we don't know yet.
- we have a proof of concept hack, we will release it SOON (a matter of hours/days, not more - promised.).
- DON'T UPDATE to summer 09. Did i already say this?
- you don't need to know your cpu key. You can update to all BUT summer '09. you don't need a dvdrom.
- It works on all xenon, zephyr, falcon, opus, jasper. Unless you have updated to 849x. Then you're screwed.
Z xboxhacker.net

EDIT:
From a technical perspective, I want to stress that this is not "yet another bug" - it's THE SAME bug we used 2 years ago. It's just that we changed the way how we write to memory, and that allows for the new cool features.

monias

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
A ja nie mam najnowszego dasha i nie aktualizuję narazie :) Mam nadzieje że coś się uda im zrobić i będzie Linux na Xa :D Ale było by fajnie:yeye: Był by PC-konsola, idealne rozwiązanie!

DusiekPL

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
Ja też nie zaktualizowałem :D Bardzo się z tego ciesze ^^ Przyda mi się wreszcie ten 120gb dysk w konsoli :)

bit4you

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
i tak bedziecie musielie zaktualizowac wraz z wydaniem nowych gier

L4mia

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
ten hack to jest niezwykle przydatny - nic na niego nie ma, pewnie ban na live od strzała po podłączeniu i tak jak mówił przedmówca większość nowych gier za miesiąc zażąda update
wątpię żeby sprawa poszła dalej - no ileż osób będzie zainteresowanych skoro konsole już mają nowy dash
hack byłby w miarę skuteczny gdyby update konsoli nie miało na niego wpływu
dopóki nie zrobią modchipa z zewnętrznym kernelem to czarno to widzę

Marcin195

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
A na czym polega ten hack bo ja zbytnio nic nie rozumiem :)

Razak

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
Może ktoś przetłumaczy ten tekst?

skarab

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
ten hack to jest niezwykle przydatny - nic na niego nie ma, pewnie ban na live od strzała po podłączeniu i tak jak mówił przedmówca większość nowych gier za miesiąc zażąda update
wątpię żeby sprawa poszła dalej - no ileż osób będzie zainteresowanych skoro konsole już mają nowy dash
hack byłby w miarę skuteczny gdyby update konsoli nie miało na niego wpływu
dopóki nie zrobią modchipa z zewnętrznym kernelem to czarno to widzę
sowa napisał:
...możesz dzięki temu hacku zabootować nowy dash.

Pozatym, mając cały kernel w posiadaniu możemy wymusić to, aby odpalił każdą gre.. Bez względu na to, na jakiej wersji dasha ma chodzić.
Ja mu wierze bo kolega ma naprawdę pojęcie o X'ach jak mało kto ;)

Razak

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
jedno a to samo gadają od 5 lat i praktycznie nic się nie zmieniło

Tharwynn

Banned
Użytkownik
Powiem tyle. Zajebiscie. Potem zrobie screeny i all :)))

DusiekPL

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
Powiem tyle. Zajebiscie. Potem zrobie screeny i all :)))
Odpaliłeś to? I jak to działa? Czekam na potwierdzenie bo sam mam chętkę aby to zainstalować :D

bit4you

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
Filmik przedstawiajacy botowanie

YouTube - new jtag hack booting off a Cygnos360 NAND

Comment by video uploader

This is the confirmation that the hack announced by Tmbinc is actually working. I have used a sample Cygnos360 V2 I got from Team Cygnos and flashed the hack onto the second NAND. The onboard NAND was untouched by that. As you can see i can still switch to the NXE dash. When switching to the NAND onboard of Cygnos the blue LED lights up on the USB daughter board. I can then boot straight of that NAND.

AMAZING WORK TMBINC!!!!!!

Razak

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
czekamy na screeny

ps myślę że na tym się to skończy nic więcej nie da się potem zrobić,albo nikomu nie będzie się chciało z tym robić

offtopic

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
Tak samo jak na pierwszym xboxie się skończyło - ludzie nie piszcie bredni. XBMC HD i do przodu. :D

Razak

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
to nie są brednie tylko tak jest ludzie,od kiedy już można uruchomić linuxa??hoho sporo już tego czasu mineło i co dalej nic.

offtopic

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
Napisz mi teraz na jakich konsolach można było uruchomić linuxa.

Razak

Użytkownik
Użytkownik
dobrze nie pamiętam ale chyba na starszych wersjach i starym karnelu ale co to ma do rzeczy?

Do góry Bottom